Monday, April 6, 2009

Snapping Turtle Tease

Man am I a sucker for critters. There is not a one out there I cannot be induced to coo over (well except maybe Huntsman spiders). Here is my latest coo.

DSCN0026 This little snapping turtle (Chelydra serpentina serpentina) was making his or her way out of the stormwater retention to the wetland this morning. This is the time of year we might see aquatic turtles moving in and out of wetland areas to find mates.

DSCN0031 It may be a little early (but it seems like a lot of things are happening early this year) but this animal may have been moving out of the wetland looking for a nesting area to lay eggs.

A note on the photo quality. Sadly, my (personal) Nikon Coolpix 4500 has suffered some sort of malfunction. Borrowing a later generation coolpix from the museum exhibits department has been disappointing. Of course the question is…is it the user or the equipment…I’ll definitely take part of the blame in needing to get up to speed with a new camera but, the lens on this later model does not produce the color and clarity of my old 4500, sigh.

No comments: